20 May 2009

Truth -- Barrie Wade

Sticks and stones may beak my bones
but words can also hurt me.
Stones and sticks break only skin,
while words are ghosts that haunt me.

Slant and curved the word-swords fall
to pierce and stick inside me.
Bats and bricks may ache through bones
but words can mortify me.

Pain from words has left its scar
on mind and heart that’s tender
Cuts and bruises now have healed
it’s words that I remember.


Source: Wade, B 1989, Conkers: Poems, Oxford University Press, USA.

8 comments:

  1. So true. This is one of my favorite poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing a project on this poem in Highschool :)
    It's really good, my new favourite poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. words are quite unforgettable. it is a reality of life. people do hurt with words... those words leave scars on heart and soul...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is full of meaning for me, it got me through my school years

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love this Poem So much i can relate to it in millions of ways

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem is timeless - and even more relevant today with social media bullying causing such heartache. No one gets through life without being hurt by words, and this poem expresses that pain so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a awesome poem, i am doing it at my school and i love it

    ReplyDelete